January 24, 2008

Commenting is Marketing

I was looking through the nominations for the SEMMY awards and came across this great post by Darren Rowse over at Problogger. He talks about 10 ways to hurt your blogs brand by commenting on other blogs. It's all pretty informative stuff that seems like common sense to me. This read comes at a particularly pertinent time for me as I was recently asked to compile a list of blogs that we should respond to as a company.

I grabbed a few to check up on and added them to my Google Reader to subscribe. I'm very sensitive to spam and I don't want to be "that guy" (or girl, as is the case). I learned after reading Darren's post that I'm not doing anything wrong. I've been making relevant comments (of course) and throwing in the PsPrint URL when it adds to the conversation of the bloggers post.

I post Darren's question to my few readers here:
  • What practices would you add to the posted list?
  • Which would you remove from it (or modify)?
  • What advice would you give bloggers when it comes to commenting on others blogs?
  • As a blogger - do you police any of these types of things? Do you have a comment policy of any kind?

3 comments:

LaTease Rikard said...

I don't do anything special when it comes to commenting. Usually because if it's something I'm interested in, and the blog is relevant to mine, I really make sure I read the post, comment on it honestly, and if I really like it, subscribe to the feed, etc. I usually let the owner know it too. I haven't had any backlash from that yet.

steven wilson said...

I have read the same post you mention here.Comments are a great way to get your name noticed by other bloggers in the process bringing more traffic to your site.
The comments that have nothing to do with the post such as good post,great job ect. are will get you labeled as a comment whore in my book.

TrishaLyn said...

Thanks for tossing in your comments LaTease and Steve.

Good points. As long as you're being productive and commenting like a human not an adbot there's not much to worry about.